Percolate Me



In the time that I haven't been blogging, I've been reading a lot of thought provoking texts to keep me mentally sharp. The most entertaining, by far, has been a book entitled "Mind Coffee", by Pittsburgh's very own Valdez Thompson. I came across it while perusing my local Borders for a new read, and found it in the African American Literature section. A collection of gritty poetry, the rich imagery is what struck me most. Here's one of my favorites, entitled, "Fillings"

"What is love, for it pains me so.
Years ago she rode me slow.
How could I engage a hoe,
And let some lame step on my toe?"
-Valdez Thompson

The author does an amazing job of tying how the pain of loving a "hoe" is tantamount to a toe that has been trod upon. That's a real type of pain. I've never loved a hoe before, but I know that getting your foot stepped on hurts terribly (especially for me, since I've had extensive foot surgery). That raw, unbridled emotion and feeling is something you don't get with a Keats, Poe, or Angelou piece. I'm just keepin' it real.

Thompson has over 90 other poems in this collection that really speaks to the soul of the urban community. And to think I was going to purchase James Baldwin or Langston Hughes instead...ha! This book was well worth the $16 I spent, and I would highly recommend it or its predecessor "Ghetto Hot Sauce". In the words of Levar Burton, dont take my word for it!

T.

4 comments:

  1. commented again. in less than 10 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the very well written review of my book. I am humbled and honored that you enjoyed reading, "Mind Coffee". To those who read your blog and have yet the pleasure to read "Mind Coffee" can find it on Amazon.com and download it onto their Kindle for a special promo price of $2.99!!!! - Author Valdez Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghetto Hot Sauce By Valdez Thompson can be downloaded straight to your Ipad, Android Cell from Amazon.com with a Kindle App!

    ReplyDelete